Wednesday, December 4, 2013

For a Friend

My Colorado knitter friend, Judy, has given me more than just knitting advice and companionship but also friendship. It is always a pleasure to spend time with her when we are in our summer residence. She is 'in the know' about local knitting or quilting shops, fiber events and sewing gathering. I can always count on her to get me involved.
This past summer she asked me if I could spin her very expensive Qiveut fiber into lace weight yarn.  She bought this in Alaska during one of her many traveling adventures.  When a friend asks, I'm always willing to at least try my best.  So, I tucked this precious little bag into my baggage and brought it back with me to Texas--of course, I promptly forgot about it!
Until we unpacked--and it hit me--I need to come up with another fiber that would work with this, as Qiveut is one of the warmest fibers in the world and it is best blended with another fiber.
I went through all my stash--llama, alpaca, wool--with no luck!  None of these I had on hand would work.......

But, luckily at our guild sale, another fiber friend pointed out this lovely blended and carded fiber--looks perfect for my project.  I took it home and was quite pleased that it worked well with this..............
Carded Qiveut--!  Yes, I hit the jackpot--to the spinning wheel I went................ 



Spinning nicely!

Two bobbins later and I have finished plying................


On the skein winder it goes........

I think it turned out nicely--I liked the subtle colors throughout the yarn

But the question was--would my friend Judy like these little bundles of fiber?  Off in the mail they went and I waited..........keeping my fingers crossed that the package would arrive in good shape, hoping that Judy would at least like the fiber.  Then came the text--She said "it is beautiful! and I like it very much".  OH, sign of relief!  So glad I could do something for my friend Judy.

2 comments:

  1. I saw it last night and I thought it was beautiful. Can't wait to see what she knits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! I'm anxious to see what she knits too!

      Delete

Oh! Pancakes!

 Yes!  Pancakes and peppered bacon!  Perfect breakfast!  On the Patio!  Pancakes can be for morning meal in your P Js or evening dinner in y...